One of the best parts of being a midlife woman on this side of 50 is the arrival of grandchildren! I spent last week with my younger daughter and her new baby. There’s nothing better than the smell of a newborn baby! This is grandbaby #3 for us. After the birth of each baby in our family, I put together a special gift bag for the new mommies. I call this my New Mommy Care Kit and it is filled with items to aid in their recovery and pamper them during the first few weeks post-partum.Pamper the new mommy in your life with the New Mommy Care Kit. #newmom #postpartum Click To Tweet
The New Mommy Care Kit – 25 Essential Items
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
- Big Panties to hold the phone book sized pads you have to wear after having a baby.
Since these panties will likely get stained, I purchased some inexpensive boy shorts .
Or for those who have had a C-section and don’t want anything rubbing against their incision some good, old-fashioned cotton briefs.
- New moms, especially those who are nursing, tend to get dehydrated. To encourage her to drink plenty of water, get this Healthy Human Water Bottle that keeps her water cold up to 24 hours OR hot drinks warm up to 12 hours.
- For dry skin, this Burt’s Bees Tips & Toes Kit with a variety of hand creams, foot creams and lip balm is great!
- Moisturizing Body Wash
Post Partum Care for a Sore Bottom
- Sitz Bath
- Inflatable Donut Cushion
- Perineal Irrigation Bottle
- These great products by Earth Mama Angel:
- Items for Padsicles (frozen pads with witch hazel, aloe vera and lavender oil – very soothing). Here’s what you need and how to make them.
Include these in your New Mommy Care Kit for the Nursing Mom
Organic Milkmaid Tea to help with milk production.
- Breastfeeding moms need to consume lots of calories, but don’t always have time to stop and eat. Having snacks on hand that support breastfeeding like the Boobie Bar can be very helpful.
- Nursing gowns
- Comfortable Nursing Sleep Bras
- Nursing Camis – These are great to wear around the house all day. Then when guests arrive, you just throw a blouse over them.
Nice to have items for New Moms
- A month’s subscription to a Grocery Delivery Service such as Peapod, Safeway, Vons or Shipt (My daughters and I live in Texas and we LOVE Shipt!)
- Extra set of sheets and an extra mattress pad. Many people don’t keep extra sheets and mattress pads on hand. They just wash them and re-make the bed. Those first few days post-partum, mom will likely need to change the bed several times and won’t want to have to wait for the bedding to get washed and dried before getting back in bed. Having extras on hand is just the little luxury that makes all the difference when you are sore and sleep-deprived!
- Personalized Thank You Cards
Whether you go all out and fill up a bag with ALL of these items or choose just a few, the new mommy in your family will love each and every one! Pamper her today!
You might also like:
Subscribe to the My Side of 50 newsletter to get your FREE printable shopping list for the New Mommy Care Kit PLUS weekly blog posts and Subscriber-only bonuses.