Ever since my 8-year-old grandson, Parker, was old enough to help “cook”, we have made some kind of treat together for every holiday. And now that his sister, Madeline, is almost 3, we included her in the fun. This year we made Dipped Easter Egg Treats from momluck.com
Dipped Easter Egg Treats
- 3 TBS. butter
- 1 – 10 oz. bag of miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- Large plastic Easter Eggs
- White Almond Bark
- Solid Vegetable Shortening
- Wash and dry your plastic eggs. I used large eggs like this.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add marshmallows and stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Add the Rice Krispies to the marshmallow mixture and mix well, making sure all the cereal is coated.
- Spray the inside of the eggs with cooking spray. Press cereal mixture firmly into each side of the egg and close. Make sure you don’t over-fill the eggs or they will pop open and not be the right shape.
- Let the eggs sit for a few hours until firm. Carefully remove eggs and set aside. This recipe yielded 9 large eggs.
I did all of this the night before so that the eggs would be ready to dip and decorate when the kids arrived.
When you are ready to decorate:
- Microwave 4 blocks of almond bark. Heat up in 15-second intervals and stir until smooth. Don’t overheat or it will seize up and you won’t be able to use it.
- Add 1 TBS. of shortening and stir until smooth. If needed, add more shortening to get the consistency you want.
I set up the table with the almond bark and three toppings for the kids.
- Dip the end of your egg in the almond bark and swirl around.
- Shake off excess.
- Dip in the topping.
- Admire your work.
- Let dry. The cooling rack that I use for baking was the perfect “drying rack” for this!
- Let sister try.
- Taste your creation
- Take a picture with Gaga.
Do you cook with our kids or grandkids? What are some of your favorites to make together?
You Might Also Like:
Need an Appetizer Recipe?
Subscribe to My Side of 50 and get my 5 EASY, make-ahead, show-stopper appetizers. Delicious! Family favorites like Marinated Shrimp, Cajun Cheeseball and so much more. Subscribe today!