Suzy Mighell is a Dallas-based Influencer and empty nester. She is the personality and content creator behind the popular blog and lifestyle brand Empty Nest Blessed.
EmptyNestBlessed.com is where Suzy shares everything that is important to us as empty nesters – from fashion and beauty, to travel, wellness, parenting, and more! She joyfully shares her life and faith with her followers while creating content to encourage, inspire, and bless them.
Suzy has been married to Bob for 30+ years and has 3 adult children.
A Good Relationship with Your Adult Children Starts with a Paradigm Shift
- Lots of prayer about navigating this new season of parenting.
- Learning self control and not saying everything that came to mind.
- Being intentional in maintaining a relationship with adult children.
- Being considerate and realizing the relationship has changed.
- Your job raising them is done.
Your kids need to be able to invite you into their lives without feeling that you are going to intervene without their permission.
Suzy said she stopped looking at them as kids and started looking at them as interesting people with whom she wanted to pursue a relationship.
Build a Good Relationship with Your Adult Children by Blessing Them.
Blessing your adult children involves honoring and respecting them.
Encouraging and praising them.
Always find something to praise and be a positive voice in their lives.
Show your interest in their lives by asking good questions and listening.
Be a learner when they tell you about their jobs, friends and what they are interested in.
Be aware that their generation is different than yours.
If you see a behavior or attitude that you don’t understand, ask them about it.
Then, LISTEN WITHOUT PASSING JUDGEMENT.
Thank them for explaining their position to you.
Build a Good Relationship with Your Adult Children by Encouraging them Through Actions
- Kindness and going the extra mile with their spouse or significant other.
- “I love you” gifts, just because.
- Asking how you can pray for them, then following up to let them know you prayed.
How to Pray for Your Adult Children | Six Bible Verses to Use
Six Practical Ways to Show Love to Your Adult Children
10 Ways to Help When Adult Children Are Questioning Their Faith
Top 10 Ways to Have A Great Relationship With Your Adult Children