The second port on our Alaskan Cruise was Juneau, Alaska and we opted for a do-it-yourself shore excursion instead of one booked through the cruise line. The weather was clear, warm and sunny, making it the perfect day to take the Mt. Roberts Tramway up 1800 feet to the top of Mt. Roberts.
Juneau, Alaska – A Do-It-Yourself Shore Excursion
Tickets and entrance to the Tramway are a short distance through the shopping district near the port. It’s an easy walk. We boarded the gondola at the base of the mountain and had a smooth, 5-minute ride up 1800 feet to the top of Mt. Roberts. The views of the Gastineau Channel and surrounding areas were stunning.
When you get to the top of Mt. Roberts, there is much to see and do for the whole family. All facilities and hiking trails are ADA accessible.
- Stop at the Nature Center (more like a gift shop with all types of books and gifts related to Alaska’s natural habitat) and pick up your hiking guide.
- Take a hike! The hiking trails are beautifully maintained with scenic overlooks at many points along the way.
- Visit Lady Baltimore, the beautiful bald eagle at the Juneau Raptor Center.
- Pick up souvenirs, clothing and one of kind pieces of art at the Raven Eagle Gifts and Gallery.
- Enjoy fresh Alaskan seafood and locally brewed beer at the Timberline Atop Mt. Roberts.
It was dinner time when we came down from Mt. Roberts and we were determined to have some King Crab Legs while we were in Alaska. About ½ a block from the Tramway on the waterfront is Twisted Fish Company Alaskan Grill. Our party enjoyed the DELICIOUS King Crab Legs, but there are plenty of options – all kinds of seafood, steaks, burgers, pizza and other casual fare. It was the perfect ending to our do-it-yourself shore excursion in Juneau!
[bctt tweet=”Twisted Fish Alaskan Grill – Best King Crab Legs in #Juneau! @TwstdFishAlaska” username=”MySideof50″]
Is an Alaskan cruise on your bucket list? Pin this post! You can follow me on Pinterest here.
I have several boards about travel, including one just for Alaskan cruises!