One of the best parts of being a midlife woman on this side of 50 is the arrival of grandchildren! I spent last week with my younger daughter and her new baby. There’s nothing better than the smell of a newborn baby! This is grandbaby #3 for us. After the birth of each baby in our family, I put together a special gift bag for the new mommies. I call this my New Mommy Care Kit and it is filled with items to aid in their recovery and pamper them during the first few weeks post-partum.
The New Mommy Care Kit – 25 Essential Items
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I will make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- Big Panties to hold the phone book sized pads you have to wear after having a baby. Since these panties will likely get stained, purchase some inexpensive boy shorts
Or for those who have had a C-section and don’t want anything rubbing against their incision some good, old-fashioned cotton briefs.
- New moms, especially those who are nursing, tend to get dehydrated. To encourage her to drink plenty of water, get this Healthy Human Water Bottle that keeps her water cold up to 24 hours OR hot drinks warm up to 12 hours.
- For dry skin, this Burt’s Bees Tips & Toes Kit with a variety of hand creams, foot creams and lip balm is great!
- Moisturizing Body Wash
Post Partum Care for a Sore Bottom
- Herbal Perineal Spray
- Organic Perineal Balm
- Organic Herbal Sitz Bath
- Items for Padsicles (frozen pads with witch hazel, aloe vera and lavender oil – very soothing). Here’s what you need and how to make them.
Include these in your New Mommy Care Kit for the Nursing Mom
- Organic Nipple Butter
- Bamboobies Washable Nursing Pads
- Lanisoh Disposable Nursing Pads
- Organic Milkmaid Tea to help with milk production
Breastfeeding moms need to consume lots of calories but don’t always have time to stop and eat. Having snacks on hand that support breastfeeding like the Boobie Bar can be very helpful.
- Nursing gowns
- Nursing gowns
- Comfortable Nursing Sleep Bras
- Nursing Camis – These are great to wear around the house all day. Then when guests arrive, you just throw a blouse over them.
Extras for Your New Mom Pamper Kit
- A month’s subscription to a Grocery Delivery Service such as Peapod, Safeway, Vons or Shipt (My daughters and I live in Texas and we LOVE Shipt!)
- Extra set of sheets and an extra mattress pad. Many people don’t keep extra sheets and mattress pads on hand. They just wash them and re-make the bed. Those first few days post-partum, mom will likely need to change the bed several times and won’t want to have to wait for the bedding to get washed and dried before getting back in bed. Having extras on hand is just the little luxury that makes all the difference when you are sore and sleep-deprived!
Whether you go all out and fill up a bag with ALL of these items or choose just a few, the new mommy in your family will love each and every one! Pamper her today!
You might also like: